With everything going green these days, natural skin care has never been more popular. Skin care companies are adding natural based products to their product offerings. Most any beauty store you pass has natural skin care products in the window. However, true natural skin care is more than using just natural products or homemade skin care remedies. It is a lifestyle routine.
Natural skin care is natural beauty and vice versa. However, it is affected by more than what you put on your skin and if that product is natural. Practicing natural skin care involves a lifestyle that practices healthy habits all the time. If you eat a poor diet, never exercise and smoke, then there is not product natural or otherwise that is going to keep your skin young and healthy. The most important factor for maintaining a beautiful complexion starts from the inside. In other words, natural beauty is more than skin deep.
Six Factors That Can Influence the Way Your Skin Looks
- Diet: What you put. It is just as important as any product you could put on your skin. A balanced diet rich in vegetables and fruits, low in sugar, low in bad fats, rich in calcium and plenty of water, will do more to keep you a natural beauty than any store bought product.
- Physical Activity and Proper Sleep: Exercise is great for the skin. It promotes good blood flow to the dermis and brings more oxygen to the skin. On the flip side, getting enough sleep is just as necessary for beautiful skin especially as we age. An average adult should get 8 to 9 hours of sleep when possible.
- Environment: The outside and inside environment in which you spend your days can affect your skin in many ways. The sun being the most obvious. UVA/UVB rays can do lots of damage to our skin down to the deeper collagen layers. With all the great sun protection choices available, there is no reason not to protect your skin. Wind can dry and chap your skin and smog can leave a thin layer of dirt on your skin; so make sure you moisturize and keep your skin clean. Even air-conditioning and heating can affect the health of your skin.
- Heredity: Great skin or skin problems can run in the family. If you get a beautiful complexion from your grandmother, don’t take it for granted. Your skin will still need proper care. The same goes for skin problems. Do not feel like there is nothing you can do. Following the recommendations here and finding a good skin care system can improve or totally alleviate these problems.
- Stress: Avoid stress as much as possible. Too much stress can adversely affect your total health including how your skin looks. Practicing natural skin care includes reducing or eliminating stress from your life.
- Medications: Certain medications can affect your skin, sometimes resulting in rashes, dry skin or acne. Always consult your doctor if you are taking medications that seem to be changing your skin. Hormonal medications and some antibiotics are examples.
Other tips for a natural skin care lifestyle are:
1. Give your body a dry brush exfoliation.
Dry brush exfoliation removes dead skin cells and Oxidative skin health helps to detoxify your skin. Dry brushing also improves lymph and blood circulation. The gentle brushing is also relaxing for your nerves and can help decrease puffiness.
2. Try to avoid sugar overload in your diet.
Eating sugar is considered one of the major causes of premature aging. Too much sugar in the bloodstream can cause a process to happen known as glycation. Glycation is when a glucose (sugar) molecule attaches to a protein molecule. When this happens, the protein molecule is damaged and a new molecule is formed and is called advanced glycation end-products or AGE’s. AGE’s damage collagen in the skin, cartilage, and ligaments and causes a loss of elasticity. This causes sagging and wrinkles.